Thursday, February 1, 2007

iPAQ rx4500 series

Great!! That's what I can say about this pda. When I've read the review, most of them said that although it's compact, somehow it not that comfortable for right handed person. But when I tried myself, it's not that bad. I can operate my ipaq with my left hand only (right handed usually hold the handheld with left hand and stylus with right hand, right? ^_^a). Either on portrait or landscape mode, I can operate it easily. I know it's hard for the first time, but you'll learn that it wasn't that hard.

OK, enough with design, let get in to the features. First, wireless connections. This handheld already implanted bluetooth 2 with EDR on it. So, say no more to slow data transfer via bluetooth. When I try to pair it with my K800i, it run smoothly. Setting for bluetooth services also easy. With only some steps, we can acquire bluetooth services of paired object. In my case, one of them is Bluetooth DUN (Dial-Up Networking) which the most important service when we can't connect via ActiveSync or wi-fi. When I try to connect using Bluetooth DUN to my K800i and access 3G network, it's connected with no problem at all.

The wi-fi also great. It's support 802.11b/g while others usually still applying 802.11b only to their pdas. I've tried it to connect to wireless access point with no problem. Except that we can't connect to access point when we connected to activeSync. This also applied to bluetooth DUN.

The other advantage of this pda is, it has 1 GB internal flash memory which make me can delay to buy memory card for it. While it has 1 GB internal memory (aside with internal 64MB RAM), it also has SD slot for SD memory card or SDIO devices. I'm not sure yet how much it can handle for external memory. If it can handle 4 GB, it will nice. But 2 GB also enough (with 1 GB internal, it will be 3 GB in total).

Lastly, the battery. The battery life are not that great. If we use it to intense, the power will depleted really fast. But when I use it to play musics using GSPlayer (music player for Windows Mobile) and turn off the display, it can run surprisingly at long lifetime. I've use it to play music for 4~5 hour and only used up the power for 20~25% which can run approximately more than 16 hours (until we run out of power, which we don't want it :p) or around 10 hour with minimum use of pda function (almost no wireless connection used).

The cons are, the button. while d-pad buttons usually not used to much, but when we need it, we can only use up-down function from scroll-wheel. and the scroll-wheel didn't do the left-right function when we reach the bottom of list icon. Here's the example. I assign the flip button (Portrait-Landscape toggle) to start button. I press this toggle button, the start menu appears. Using scroll-wheel, I move to "settings" and click it by pressing the wheel. In settings window, I can move up-down using the scroll from the last accessed icon. To select other icon, I must use stylus.

So, my opinion on this device is ... great. compact, accessing all buttons is not that hard (at least by me :p) either in portrait nor landscape. Has bluetooth 2 with EDR and wi-fi with 802.11b/g specification which give me broader connection selection, and the price is affordable. So? ... it's great :D~

No comments: